Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chats with Children 8

So I started jotting down some of the things the kids said and here's what I've collected over the past couple of days.

BEN

Ben: "What's a billionaire?"
Me: "Someone who has a billion dollars or more."
Ben: "Really? You mean it's not a job or something?"

Boy, do I want that job. The other day Ben came down in one of his most tattered shirts wearing jeans with holes in them. "Dad! Guess what?! I was getting dressed for the day and I pulled out my new nice school jeans and I asked Coco [the dog] if I should wear them and she shook her head [he shakes his head 'no']. And then I pulled out my jeans with the holes in them and she shook her head [he shakes his head 'yes']. So then I pulled out this shirt and I looked over and she was shaking her head [he shakes his head 'yes']. Isn't that cool?!"
Yesterday he lost another tooth. Pretty soon he won't have any more to loose. His teeth came in all at once and I guess they're leaving all at once. Anyways, he came into my room this morning with a very serious look on his face. "Dad, truth or dare?" I couldn't guess what he was up to, but I knew which one he wanted me to choose. "Dare." His face fell, he obviously had not even prepared for this possibility. I repented and told him to just ask me what he wanted to know. "Are you really the tooth fairy?" Alas, a piece of innocense lost. At least with Ben I know he'll never tell the other two. With Kallie I'll have to lie through my teeth until I want everybody else in the familiy to know. She can't stand to hold on to a good secret.

KALLIE

Kallie came down one night while I was trying to get some work down and she was supposed to be asleep.
"Dad, I'm scared."
"What are you scared of?"
"The Legend?"
"What legend?"
"THE LEGEND!"
"Honey, WHAT legend?"
"The one that Hailey told me."
"What's it about?"
"I can't remember."
Then she went one to tell me how she had her lips tightly closed and she heard someone open her lips, and there was a shadow floating around her room except when I was there and just about anything else she could think up to scare herself. She's the only girl I know that can fall asleep, have a nightmare, and be too scared to stay in her room all in the space of 5 minutes. So I layed down next to her and we spent the next while making up silly stories and laughing and such, and as soon as I get up to leave... "But, Dad. I'm scared..."

ANDREW

Me: "Did you miss me yesterday? I missed you."
Andrew: "No."
Me: "You didn't miss me at all?"
"No. I missed Joan?"
"Joan?" I asked, surprised that he knew Nini's first name.
"Yeah, she's at McDonalds."
"Do I know Joan?"
"No."

Great so he misses the girl who takes the order at McD's before he misses me. The other day he came up to me very sober. "Kallie put bubblegum in my ear. That's not FUNNY!" Actually, it was pretty funny considering she convinced him of that without actually touching his ear. When I took the kids to a movie yesterday he was doing pretty good. About a third of the way through the movie he grabbed my arm and asked loudly "Where's the remote?". Him and Kallie picked out chocolate cereal at the store that they were very excited about. When he finally got a bowl of it this morning he said, "It smells like peaches!" We need to maybe get some of his senses checked.

No comments: