Wednesday, August 24, 2016

A Truncated Version of Events

Ah, can you feel it? The overwhelming feeling that I should play a game on my phone rather than recap our most recent history is washing over this blog post. I’ll do my best to select only positive and "good-fortuned" moments so that you can feel annoyed and frustrated in comparison to my half-truth.
To make it fun, I’ll keep it to a couple of paragraphs and a haiku per month and then expand on some more entertaining parts. That way those of you hiding in the bathroom reading blog posts can justify a few more moments of solitude.

May
In May, our style of life was getting a little old. This consisted of Katie living in the car to drive the kids to another school district every day and most of our stuff still being held hostage somewhere. Good news came in the form of visit from Papa Erickson. Late in the month Nini showed up with Cousin Hunter. However, Nini went back home without him…
Minivan a shell
A home on wheels, life’s snail pace
Oh please, let it end

June
We finally found a “permanent” home solution for Ohio. This also presented a unique challenge because we had roughly 3800 sqft of “stuff” delivered to a home with about 2300 sqft of space. We purposefully chose a home that would force us to prepare for the upcoming move to England and it is truly mind-boggling the amount of “things” that a handful of people can accumulate. From another perspective we got rid of 2,000 lbs of stuff leaving New Mexico. At a minimum we must reduce that by another 3,000 lbs if not more.
Katie had a much better plan for dealing with this than I did: she left. For most of June she and the kids lived the high life at the Erickson Vegas Resort. They don’t have a gambling license yet, but Ben did learn how to play poker for the first time there. Meanwhile I was left to deal with the initial brunt of our stuff arriving. When I joined them on the very last day of the month, Andrew was baptized.
Much work and few hands
Grasshoppers leave while ant works
Ant eats well alone

July
After non-stop craziness that kicked off in February, we finally got off on a family vacation. In fact, we liked it so much we did it twice. This does a wonderful job of helping you realize just how unnecessary your presence in the workplace is. Vacation number one featured some awesome body surfing and a lava spewing volcano (DO NOT combine those two activities!) Vacation number two consisted of a loop through upstate NY, down New England, and across Pennsylvania.
Jealous of nomads
Cares float on summer’s fresh breeze
Home overrated

August
August arrived with a healthy dose of reality. That’s really why everybody hates August. The first presidential candidate to add “eliminate August” to their platform gets my vote. We finally started getting rid of some of our stuff while preparing for school. Knowing that we have but a short 10 months left in Ohio has really focused our activities. In other news, the NM home hasn’t sold which gave me the chance to walk through it one more time while I was there on business. Make me an offer people.
Reality lies
Like a small snake in the grass
Strikes hard at time's heel

Stories

Remember how I said I would write up entertaining parts from our summer at the end and expound on things? I lied. Go back to life. I’ll add them as smaller posts later.

No comments: