Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Wiimote Phantom

While I haven't yet taken the time to upload pictures from the Christmas break, I thought I would go ahead and share a little experience that occurred while the whole extended family was up at the cabin.

Quite possibly the single most used item at the cabin this year was the Wii game system. It seemed (while it was dark enough to see the screen) somewhere, at any given time, someone was playing a game on the Wii. Well, one cloudy afternoon I happened to be playing a game when K asked me to cover her with a blanket. So I paused the game, stood up, placed my remote on the back of the couch next to my brother's head, put a blanket it over her, turned around and my remote was gone. It was that simple. It was nowhere to be found.

Let me describe the circumstances. All the kids where taking a nap (well, cousin H was apparently just waking up in her room), all the dogs were outside, and with the exception of one or two people everybody at the cabin in that moment was in that room.

At first everyone thought I was trying to be funny. That I'd hid it and was pretending. We quickly progressed from that stage to systematically dismantling the entire room. This included a thorough dismemberment of each piece of furniture. K even went so far as to explore all the exits from the room. Sometime in the middle of it, cousin H woke up and Auntie E left to see to her. Eventually,we called Fred and Velma to come to the rescue in the Mystery Van, but Scooby-Doo had apparently raided the trash and gotten sick all over the inside of the van so they couldn't come. After we were about to give up, Uncle D arrived back from some errand. Knowing that we are a bunch of idiots and that he possesses superior knowledge and logical skills granted him from the Air Force he directed us in a reenactment of the entire scene before wildly searching couch cushions himself.

This where things really get funny. While Uncle D was inspecting the couch me and N had been sitting on, the remote signal from my controller appeared back on the screen briefly a few times. This led to renewed search energies and the attempts of people to start waving individual couch cushions at the screen. As if that doesn't sound crazy enough, we actually picked the entire couch up and shook it at the screen.

Well after searching fruitlessly for the better part of an afternoon I finally went and got a remote that wasn't being used (which is what I probably should have done in the first place). About five minutes back into our game, Cousin H innocently walked into the room (we don't even know where from as apparently everybody had stopped watching her in the heat of the search) dangling the lost remote between two fingers. She walked up, handed it to me, and walked away again without a single word.

Many have come up with their own interpretation of what happened by mingling the philosophies of men with scripture, but personally I think the three nephites have to do something for entertainment every once in a while.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That story just made my day... i might even say, my week! That was funny:)

Chris said...

Ligaya still reads this story....it's by far your best work.