So we just about readmitted K to the hospital the other day after she had a near heart attack. We went to see A in the NICU at about 10:30 pm and noticed a neonatal ambulance sitting outside the entrance to the women's center at the hospital. K immediately supposed the worst and started fretting. I told her not to worry and that it was probably because someone had gone into serious labor at home or something similar. I dropped her off to go inside and then I parked the car.
As I walked back to the NICU I noticed through the window a specialized ambulance stretcher as well as a team of neonatal specialists. What really got my attention was that they were all gathered around A's bed and they looked to be engaged in some serious work. At that moment K came out of the bathroom shaking and as white as a ghost. I quickly scrubbed and we began to go into the NICU.
At about 3 steps inside the door someone yells, "Are parents allowed?"! K just about fainted. Luckily the regular nurse practitioner was quick on her feet, told us to come back, and then explained that A was fine and that his bed had been moved to the back corner to make room for a set of premature twins that had been delivered at another hospital. I'm not sure the color returned to K's face entirely for a couple of hours still, even after holding A.
Now the update. A is doing EXTREMELY well, as you might tell from the pictures. He breastfed for the first time last night, and two more times today. None of the nurses can believe it. He latched on at the first attempt last night and has been going strong since. He becomes very alert when we are there now and he has the most beautiful eyes, smiles frequently, and loves to make little cooing noises at his mom. His bowels are holding pretty good pressure too apparently. He let one rip tonight that had a nurse come running from the far side of the nursery. It certainly made K and myself jump, and I thought he'd punched a hole through his diaper for sure.
Most likely he'll come home on Saturday just to make sure that we won't have to bring him back in. Since Little K still thought the hospital had lost A, we snuck the kids up to the NICU window to let them peek in even though we weren't supposed too. They thought that was pretty darn cool. Also, we'd like to acknowledge the birth of cousin C on Sunday. 3 cousins all within 4 days of each other sounds awefully dangerous to us, but we'll have to see. Again, we thank you all for your phone calls and prayers, and we'll continue to keep you updated.
3 comments:
Scary! He is so cute, his face reminds me of B. So I'll be in town this weekend, but I'm assuming you guys still aren't taking visitors. Let me know if I can take the kids off your hands for a few hours on Saturday or Sunday though! 585-709-4271
What a cute nephew!!! I'm still waiting for pictures of him being home and not attached to all the tubes and machines :) I'm so excited to hold him but I'm afraid that won't happen for another month. Baby Caden is so sweet and pretty much sleeps all day long. We miss you guys and are so glad that Andrew is finally home and healthy. Give Ben and Kallie our love!
Welcome HOME!!!! I know it's been a long time to have had him but not have him home! I'm so glad that Andrew is now home and is away from all those prying eyes. I'm sure he wanted some alone time with his parents.
I expect to see more pictures soon!
Love you!
Post a Comment