Sunday, June 8, 2008

We're Off!!!






Alright, this is my first post since K took over the blog so I'm sure to embarass her in some way. We made it to our first stop on the way to Albuquerque. We took I-15 down to Utah State 20 and US-89 and then across Garfield and Kane counties to Kanab. "Color Country" is aptly named. I dont think I have ever seen a prettier Utah. It is gorgeous down here. Almost hard to believe that its only a couple miles to the west and you would be in the barren desert that we normally traverse on our way to California.

We had a time of it getting out of Provo to say the least. Yesterday, the sump pump in our basement seized and our house smelled of raw sewege. Luckily, RotoRooter was there in half an hour working on it. It is interesting to note that a massive wad of paper was found in the can holding the pump, although that apparently was not what caused the failure. Neither child will own up to it.... big surprise.

On top of that Little K came down with a 103 temperature yesterday and A started getting congested. K was up until 4 trying to get things going, and by 1 pm on Saturday we were on the road. Only 5 hours late... Luckily, we broke the trip up into pretty small chunks so it wasn't a big deal.

We made it to Kanab and K took the kids swimming while I rested with A. They were back in 5 minutes with K completely drenched. She had gone down to the pool fully dressed with 2 kids under the age of 5 and had somehow imagined that she wouldn't get wet! Come on K.... how old are you? :)

Our first hotel in Kanab sits in the nook of Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument and the scenery is beautiful! We ate at Houston's Trails End Restaurant in "downtown" Kanab (downtown is marked by THE streetlight). Then we walked through Denny's Wigwam where we bought some fudge and B almost bought us (read broke) a $300 geode. Seriously, I think stores put expensive stuff where kids WILL break them and their parents WILL then have to buy them!

Well, we're on the way to Lake Powell and the Grand Canyon!

3 comments:

Sister Pottymouth said...

So did you make it?

I saw Kimberly out walking Apollo & Dandy yesterday afternoon (both--at the same time). She's a brave, brave woman.

kme1981 said...

We made it!! I'll have to do a post and show you pictures and things. It was quite the trip!

I am so glad she was walking the dogs! I hope she enjoys it there...I'm missing home! Hopefully 5 weeks will fly by! We miss you guys!

Sister Pottymouth said...

We miss you too. T-- is talking about his birthday party and who is going to be invited. He says "If B-- is back, then I'll invite him. But only if he gets back in time."