Grandma had set up the "pumpkin patch" outside in the yard and the kids got to go pick out there pumpkins. As I was walking to the pumpkin I wanted Lisa ran ahead of me and started to pick it up. So I promptly began pointing out to her all the defects in that particular pumpkin. She was so convinced that she set it down, and I picked it up. By the time she realized that maybe that pumpkin wasn't really such a bad pick it was safely sequested as Andrew's future jack-0-lantern. A good start to the night.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Carving Pumpkins
So, on Monday we held possibly our last annual Halloween tradition at Grandma's house. It's crazy, but we are entering the period now where possibly everything we do might be our "last".
Grandma had set up the "pumpkin patch" outside in the yard and the kids got to go pick out there pumpkins. As I was walking to the pumpkin I wanted Lisa ran ahead of me and started to pick it up. So I promptly began pointing out to her all the defects in that particular pumpkin. She was so convinced that she set it down, and I picked it up. By the time she realized that maybe that pumpkin wasn't really such a bad pick it was safely sequested as Andrew's future jack-0-lantern. A good start to the night.


Dinner was, as always, excellent and festive. Grandma had decked out the table with ideas from her new website partiesandpatterns.com (check it out... it's awesome), and I bored people with physics updates while Andrew ate off of my plate even though I had put the same exact food on his. We topped dinner off with homemade chocolate donut holes as we dove into the pumpkins.



Andrew in particular coul not stop exploring the ins and outs of a newly carved jack-o-lantern. It was a lot of fun to watch him and the other two. Kallie made me particularly nervous this year because she was very insistent on holding the carving knife herself this year and she doesn't listen to/follow instruction very well at all. And do you think we would use the dull-bladed orange-handled typical pumpkin knives? Oh, no. WE use the sharpest serrated steak knifes Grandma can find. It was a miracle that we didn't end up with a bloody pumpkin. Andrew of course has to be like the big kids.... good thing he can't tell a plastic knife from a sharp one! I can't wait for next year...
Grandma had set up the "pumpkin patch" outside in the yard and the kids got to go pick out there pumpkins. As I was walking to the pumpkin I wanted Lisa ran ahead of me and started to pick it up. So I promptly began pointing out to her all the defects in that particular pumpkin. She was so convinced that she set it down, and I picked it up. By the time she realized that maybe that pumpkin wasn't really such a bad pick it was safely sequested as Andrew's future jack-0-lantern. A good start to the night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment