Wow, the funny thing is I'm not usually very funny when I TRY to be or when I'm under pressure to be funny. But for all anybody knows there is really just one author to this post pretending (for whatever reason) to be two authors. You'll never know, but my friends at school tomorrow are going to be so impressed that I pulled off posting as BOTH my parents online! I'm the coolest 1st grader ever!
So back to the story. There are two things that I (my dad that is) never thought would happen. One was attending an Orem Owlz (D league) baseball game. There other was owning a BYUSA shirt. Well, the universe will never cease to amaze me. I've now attended an Orem Owlz baseball game and ended up owning a BYUSA t-shirt all in the same night. I'm not exactly calling it a miracle, but it's certainly "miraculous" that it happened. From a statistics point of view the probability of those two things happening on the same night, if at all, was about as good as winning the lottery. Yeah, I'd rather have won the lottery, but still.
Papa and Hailey met us at the game and THE Orem Owl met us just inside the gate. My photo-op happy wife could not have been photo-op happier. Now, study the picture below EXTREMELY carefully. It may not seem like it, but it is in fact one of those "the moment before you realize the pain" type pictures.
After we had settled down with our free 4" hot dogs and 24 oz. sodas with no lids or cardboard racks for carrying them we realized that nobody had thought to get napkins, but we had collectively managed to gather about 50 plastic straws between all of us. Katie went to make the switch and returned with an armful of BYUSA t-shirts. I'm not sure BYUSA meant for us to use their free t-shirts as napkins, but hey, whatever keeps the ketchup and mustard off the clothes we actually paid for.

Katie then decided that we should get at least 2 more free t-shirts to clean up any future soda spills we might have so I went off to the BYUSA table. The conversation was off to a bad start when I asked what BYUSA was doing at an Orem Owlz game and they insinuated that I was obviously too old to still be in college by asking if at one point in my history I had been a part of BYUSA. I remained the better man and held my tongue from retorting exactly what I thought of BYUSA and then I proceeded to dress them down by belittling their respective majors. Physicists can be such arrogant jerks sometimes. In the end, it was all for nothing since they were all out of shirts by the time I got there.
Also at the game: jolly fat people. Specifically jolly fat people who pose a smile in the background of your personal pictures. See if you can spot one (besides me of course) in the picture below.
In the end we got great seats. Front row right behind home plate. Notice how happy the kids look wearing their new napkins.

And, as at all events, we had to take our signature self portrait.
Notice how Katie picked the one where her wrinkles were minimized and mine were maximized.

Andrew was Papa's little buddy throughout the whole game.
Now again, the picture below is another one of these "the moment before the pain hits" type shots. See if you can spot it this time.
And again you would hate me because the picture itself gives no clue as to what is about to happen. Sitting right behind the home plate net can get a little exciting at times, and Papa was very diligent trying to keep the kids a safe distance away from the loose net in case a foul ball came flying at one of their little heads. Unfortunately, he was not so diligent with his soda. His hapless soda was sitting innocently on the wall behind the net when the batter clipped a fast one and sent it about eye level at the front row. The laws of physics took over and Papa's right foot got an iced soda bath. Katie could not stop laughing. This then served as an object lesson to the kids who, not wanting to have their brains under go the same fate as the soda, were very good about sitting in their seats for the rest of the game.
And, as at all events, we had to take our signature self portrait.
Andrew was Papa's little buddy throughout the whole game.
It turns out that the Orem Owlz are pretty good about spreading around free stuff in between all the innings and we ended up with free passes for everyone to Seven Peaks as well. This got Ben in the mood of trying to predict which section the Owl was going to be in during the next inning break to try and get more stuff. Needless to say it didn't really work out for him.
During the seventh inning stretch I asked myself a question I should have thought of long before. If you're playing a "sport" that takes so long to play and requires so little physical activity that you have to stop and strectch again before the game is over, is it really a sport? Not even golfers do that.
4 comments:
Oh babe...they aren't wrinkles on you. They are just smile lines :)
That overweight person smiling in your picture is my sister-in-law!
Ok, just kidding, but she does have season tickets. Wouldn't that have been hilarious if it actually had been her?
Briahna you kill me! When I read your comment it was just in a little window so I couldn't see the rest of your comment. I about died! But hey, if it was your sister -in-law she had amazing boobs! So much so that Kallie actually remarked on them..much to my mortification since we all know Kallie doesn't have the "quietest" whisper :)
How fun!! I love baseball games. The hot dogs are always the best and you guys got tons of free things! I wish that Utah has a major league baseball team.
Post a Comment