As we were pulling out of Stourhead I saw signs for Alfred’s Tower. I had no idea what Alfred’s tower was, but I wanted to go explore! Three of my kids were not on board, but thankfully all of those were sitting in the back seats. Andrew and I were in front and up for adventure! We just started driving, not saying anything, and the other three were completely oblivious, much to Andrew’s delight!
I am, when the roads look like this how can you go wrong!?! (Well except that little one way road…well more bike lane than road….)
Pretty much Alfred’s tower is just that, a tower. It was built to celebrate the end of the Seven Year’s War with France and the accession of King George III near the location of 'Egbert's stone' where it is believed that Alfred the Great, King of Wessex, rallied the Saxons in May 878 before the important Battle of Edington. It was damaged by a plane in 1944 and restored in the 1980s. The door is locked…so you can pretty much just walk around it. My kids enjoyed looking up at the tower and feeling like it was going to fall on them because of how the clouds were moving. So yep…it’s a tower….
No comments:
Post a Comment