Monday, May 4, 2020

Our New Normal School and Work Day

Now that everyone has to stay home to "slow the curve", "protect NHS", and "self-distancing" I thought I would record what our new normal is right now.

We start each day around 6:30 and do scriptures.  Then kids start getting ready for the day.  Some days we do a big family breakfast, other days it is just whatever you make.  The determining factor is really how Nick slept the night before.

Then everyone 'goes to school'.  They get their computers, log on, say good morning to their teachers, and off they go! Ben and Kallie are on their own.  Andrew I have to direct a bit and make sure he actually turns in homework and attends his live classes.  Zack - well I'm loving doing year 3 again with him. 

After breakfast Chris is upstairs and working until lunch. He has calls, meetings, emails, writing, reading - we just try to stay out of his way.  Each day is different for him, but he normally can have lunch with us and dinner - and normally will have a few night meetings (when the USA people are working) - so his work schedule is pretty packed.


This one loves to take his breaks.  Often I will find him on the couch, with his computer, and the remote.  There is no TV until school is completed....he's just hopeful.


Kallie is always finished quickly....she has blown through all her books and is now reading some for the second and third time.  She is kicking herself for not bringing all the books she got for Christmas back to the UK.  But to be fair - we were supposed to be home a few months ago....


For lunch and dinner each kid is assigned a day and they get to choose what they make, provided I can find the ingredients.  On nice days we all eat outside and I love it.


Christopher, Ben and Kallie have been really kicking up their cooking skills.  Christopher and Kallie have been experimenting with sourdough bread and making their own starter.  Kallie has discovered she loves to knead bread!  Ben is a pro at Ahma's cornbread and Labosh bread - which we have at least once (twice) a week.  


Ben is the pinwheel king!



And he has mastered Lasagna and garlic bread



Zack is working on how to really do dishes and Andrew loves crock pot meals :)  He did make orange chicken one night and discovered it is a lot of work.  One day Ben was accidentally assigned lunch and dinner.  At the end of the day, we were chatting and he lamented how he had been cooking ALL DAY LONG.  I just smiled.  I think they are starting to get it....




No comments: