Sunday, April 29, 2012

An Explanation of New Mexico Saying….

I realized after Christopher posted this post he didn’t put the stories in behind them.  Like everything in this blog it is just part of our family journal and is most likely boring to everyone else…so don’t worry about reading it….but I wanted too record it.

Below is a list of the things heard said in our family since moving to New Mexico.

“Ow, ow, ow! @#$%#@! goat heads!” (Goat heads are sharp little burrs that just litter the ground here.)

*I think I’ve blogged about goat heads before.  Last week while we were playing in the front yard (yes, we do that now) Andrew sat on the front grass and started screaming.  He didn’t have shoes on so I assumed it was a goat head in his foot.  I get on him a little bit about forgetting his shoes again while I pick him up.  As soon as he is in my arms I realize his is COVERED in goat heads..all over his bum, back, legs, everywhere.  It is so bad I carefully undress him right there in the driveway and spend 20 minutes later that day picking the goat heads out of his clothes with tweezers.

“Do those hubcaps belong to the bus our children ride on?”

*There is a stack of bus hubcaps next to a fire hadrent by our house.  The kids are always looking at the buses tires to see if they are missing their hubcaps.

“Andrew. Andrew! ANDREW!”

*No explaintion necessary.  We heard this saying all the time in Provo too.

“Did you know that there’s a water main broken in the street.” – “Yes, I know. I called it in yesterday.”

*One day on my way out for a walk I saw water (lots and lots of water) coming out of a crack in the middle of the road in front of our house.  Not knowing if this was  normal thing or not I call the water company.  They say they will send someone right over to fix it.  That was 9am.  Chris got home at 7pm and it was still going strong. With how crazy they are about water here you think they would be faster.  They finally sent out 5 huge trucks the following morning (at 7am….on a Saturday) to fix it by digging up the street.  At least it keep the kids entertained for a few hours!

After passing a sign for a pizza special. Kallie – “Wow, someone only has to give that lady $6 and then she can go home?! Why doesn’t someone do that?” Ben – “NOOOOO, they have to give her $6.99! THEN she can go home.”

“Huh, someone must have died on this street corner yesterday.”

*Chris had bring your kids to work day on Thursday (pics to follow).  Since I can’t drive on base without Christopher in the car I parked at a gas station close to base to wait for him.  As he is walking to us we are chatting on the phone.  He says the above statement and I’m in shock.  I ask him why and he told me there weren’t flowers on the corner yesterday and when people die here they mark where with a little memorial of flowers and things.  People dying on the corner by the base.  Lovely.

From any child almost every other day. “I have a sticker in my foot!” – “No you don’t.” – “Yes, I do!” – “No, you don’t.” – “How do YOU know?” – “Because you can still walk.”

*Yep.  And if Andrew doesn’t want to do something (walk up the stairs, clean his room, etc) it is because he has a sticker in his foot that I can’t see. 

“Those people have nice looking grass. Go talk to them!”

*We can’t figure out how to keep all the weeds and goat heads out of our grass….but some people do!  I always try to talk to them and find out how.  So far you either need to hire someone or be retired and have your grass your only hobby.

“Go to bed.” (5 seconds later) “I went to bed, and fell asleep, and had a nightmare! I have to sleep in your room now.” (This is a common one).  *Especially Kallie.  Almost every night I fall on a kid or a dog when I get up to feed Zack.  It’s like a mine field!

“Andrew! We do not stab people with yard tools. PUT THE YARD TOOL DOWN.”

*Oh this is just Andrew helping do yard work on Saturdays.  His new job is vacuuming up the grass and leaves with the shop vac….every other tool we give him he turns into a weapon!

No comments: