***Long journal post - WARNING***
I know, I know - Nick will be a year in two weeks and I haven't recorded his birth story. So today is the day! I just wrote all about his pregnancy, but that post is back in the May 2019 tab. So let's go back to 50 weeks ago.....
May 13, 2019, bright and early on a Monday morning, we were having a baby! Having a baby in the UK is very different than in the USA. For example, in the US I always had to get to the hospital at 5am, be monitored for an hour or two, get IV's, go to the OR alone and only have Chris come in once I was draped, etc. It's not like that in the UK.
I rolled in around 8:30 am after saying bye to the kids as Grandpa took them to school. That's another thing, only Chris was allowed to come with me. Everyone else could only come during visiting hours which is 3pm - 7pm. I couldn't wait!
 |
| We're having a BABY! |
 |
| Heading in! Funny story, as we were taking these pictures a man was outside smoking. We said good morning and I totally thought he was a maintenance man. I was shocked when my surgeon walked in and was the man who was outside smoking! |
 |
| I'm going to miss this belly! I have loved these last few weeks of being pregnant and feeling this little boy move all around. |
 |
| Oh it's getting real! Heading down the hall! |
 |
| Doesn't he look so professional?! We walked down to the OR together. He was able to be with me the whole time....a first! |
 |
Getting prepped for my spinal. The hospital staff was so relaxed. They were playing music, joking with each other. It was a great atmosphere. I was more at ease too because Christopher was able to be with me. They let us take pictures and everything! In fact the nurses helped take some of the pictures. Fun fact - the pictures we took outside before heading in the hospital to have Nick were taken at 8:30 am. The picture of me on the operating table was taken at 9:21am. We arrived, checked in, and were having a baby in less than an hour! WHAT?!?!?

Our first photo together! Nicholas Wilts Erickson came into the world at 9:59 am on Monday, May 13, 2019. He weighed 8 lbs (3.63 kg), 20 1/2 inches long. I was shocked when the doctor just handed him to me! I was on the table, expecting it to be like my other four deliveries...the nurse lowers the blue sheet, the doctor holds up the baby for a half second and then passes the baby off to a different nurse. The baby is brought to me all cleaned and wrapped up and I get to hold them a couple of hours later. Not here! Nick was lifted right up and put right on my chest. They don't wipe them down, suction them, cut the cord - anything. I had to ask for a blanket to wipe him down a bit. The nurses don't take them at all. It was amazing to have him put right with me. It is a memory that will forever be burned on my heart.

He didn't really cry. Once we started talking to him he calmed right down and cuddled into me. It was the sweetest thing. After a few minutes I heard the doctor talking - not really understanding what he was saying. He was asking me if it was okay to cut the cord yet. This had been 5 minutes or so - I had no idea he was still attached! I loved the non-rushed feeling in the OR.
Oh his cuddles!
I was starting to feel sick and needed to throw up. I asked for them to take the baby, thinking the nurse would take him. She looked at us and said, "ok Dad, take your baby!" She was so sweet and captured Christopher's first hold...still in the OR!
You have to hand the nurse a diaper, wipes, blanket, and clothes before you go into deliver. You also have to pack all your own supplies for your hospital stay. I was so surprised when they gifted us this handmade blanket. He still has it.
After Nick was delivered we were taken out of the OR to a small room off to the side and hung out there for 30 minutes or so, with them checking me every 5 minutes. After I passed that test and fed Nick I was then moved to the ante-natal ward. To get there they hook your bed up to a robotic motor and a hospital worker drives you up this WW2 type concrete hallway, with dark lighting and no heat to the other ward. It was very strange. I was holding Nick and feeding him, so I just covered him with my blanket. It didn't seem weird to anyone else that I might want to be more covered up than I was.
The master swaddler at work! Nick loves to be wrapped tight and Christopher is the absolute pro. I love seeing him with our new babies. He is so good with them and hands on.
I was told the toast you are allowed to have after delivery is the best toast you will ever have. They weren't kidding! It was amazing! Everyone is given tea and toast after they have a baby in England. I didn't even have to make it myself since I had a C-Section. If you have a natural birth you are expected to walk down to the kitchen and make your own.
I was starving after delivery and asked if I could have lunch. They said yes - but that I wasn't scheduled for lunch so I could have my partner go buy something and bring it back to me. Totally different than in the USA! I couldn't have another helping of toast either.
Finally he gets to just sit and cuddle a sleeping baby. His absolute favorite thing to do in the whole world.
I couldn't stop staring at this sweet boy!
What is it about a new baby that makes you want to take a nap?
An hour after delivery. I felt absolutely incredible.
We decided we should probably get Nick in some clothes...this is the first baby Christopher (not a nurse) did the first diapering and dressing.
Doesn't he look like a fake doll?!
Loving these few moments where it is just me, Christopher, and Nicholas - getting to know our new little baby.
And now to meet the family.....
|
No comments:
Post a Comment