Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bowling in Heber

On New Year's Eve we went bowling in Heber. Katie and the kids all beat me both games... I think I'm done writing about this day.

Well, that is, except to mention what happened BEFORE bowling. As we are walking into the bowling alley Katie turns to me and says, "I think there is a hole in my pants. Can you see it?" And though I swear there had not been anything there when she said that, suddenly I could SEE it. In fact I could see all 8 inches of it. Despite possibly being the kinkiest pair of jeans she has ever owned, it was very clear she could not go bowling in these pants. The solution: Kings.

For those of you who don't know, Kings is a store in Heber has got to be something like what Walmart must of been like in its inception. Anything and everything from manufacturers you have never heard of for almost nothing. Sometimes its easy to tell that the quality of a product is truly lacking. Other times the quality is amazing but the fashion sense of its designer fortells the end of that person's career. And every once in a while you find something in there that makes you scratch your head and think, "How did this thing find it's way into Kings? How is it possibly so cheap? How do I get it to the register without the three middle-aged women in mullets wrestling it from me?" (If you have ever been to Heber you darn well know that the last question is a completely valid one.) Well, it just so happened that between the pairs of pants made from rice paper, the pairs with bungee waist bands and no pockets, and the pairs that tapered at the ankels and flared at the hips, Katie found an amazingly good pair of jeans that looked just about right in size for $9. The next challenge: trying them on.

The only place to try on clothing at Kings is the public restroom. The good news is that it is a one person restroom with a door. The bad news is, it is just as clean as any public restroom you have ever been in. The really bad news was that some really heavy lady who had eaten some really bad food had just had a really bad experince in there right as Katie needed to try on some pants. The pants, however, fit perfectly and Katie simply left the old ones in the bathroom. Wearing the pants to the register also helped ensure we weren't going to get tackled on the way there.

The lady at the checkout register had a look on her face that was just priceless when Katie simply handed her a pair of tags to ring up. It took about two minutes to get her to understand that Katie was actually wearing the pants and that this wasn't a scam. The woman could not resist the obvious question, "but where are your OTHER pants?" I couldn't help but respond with a question of my own, "didn't you see her walk in here without any pants on?" Her cheeks went deep purple, "NOoooooooo...." She said slowly. Katie quickly reassured her of the truth and then we went through the usually Kings ritual of taking 15 minutes to check out 1 item.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I miss that place -- I like the little ramp that they devised for the kids. Though, it's helpful for adults as well!

Chris said...

Hey, you have an open invitation to go bowling there with us anytime...

Sister Pottymouth said...

Where's the picture of Katie's new pants?

amelia said...

Oh wow - this was hilarious.