Monday, January 26, 2009

Sore Back in forecast

Yesterday was Sunday. I like Sundays...but I LOVE snowy, rainy, cold Sundays. Yesterday was one of those Sundays. We woke up to snow falling and white grass again, which I also love. After church and choir practice we headed up to Alpine for dinner with the family. We thought, "oh, it is just raining a little bit...maybe a little snow mixed in, but nothing our van can't handle"....so we took the van (front wheel drive...not 4 wheel drive). We had a great dinner with the family, visited, played, funny stories....and didn't really give the weather another thought. We discovered how busy the weather had been when my father-in-law had to leave to go to a meeting. A little dusting of snow turned into inches in just a few hours. So no big deal you're thinking right? WRONG! My in-laws have a very steep driveway. Without a four wheel drive car you really can't get out of it in the snow. Luckily for us they have a monster of a truck that can pull just about anything. So Chris and his dad hooked up our little mini van and pulled it out of the driveway like it was pulling a sled. We decided if it was this bad (snowing in those big beautiful flakes) we should probably get on the road and get home ASAP.

The drive home was slow, but relaxing and beautiful with all the snow falling down. I think Chris got a little too comfortable with the road conditions and took a turn a little too fast (15 mph) and we did a complete 360! The whole time I was grabbing onto my door handle yelling "BRAKE! BRAKE!" (I'm not sure if I was yelling that in my head or out loud...I should ask Chris) He didn't brake, which probably saved us from getting suck in the ditch or going off the side of the road into a little gully. He is so much more level headed then I am....thank goodness! We made it home with only a few more slips and slides.

When we got home, and after getting kids to bed, I started to shovel off our flat top (which is not an easy chore). Chris came and helped me finish if off, and then we started on clearing all that snow off our driveway and walkway beneath. I thought we were so smart getting a jump on the snow removal I would have to do today. I went to bed sore, but so glad I wouldn't have to shovel snow this morning with the kids. I woke up with a VERY sore back and my stomach sank when I looked out the window to see this.....

Half the Flat top...
The other half...

Our Neighborhood....
and under all that snow is our driveway....
So back outside, with Kallie and Ben as "helpers" so move more snow. I really can't complain....what better place to have to work then outside in this beautiful winter wonderland. If you want to see what I mean you are more than welcome to come on over....just bring a shovel and gloves!!!

3 comments:

Krista said...

Yeah that white stuff is not cute! We got about 6 inches! Yes I was a happy camper this morning! But all-in-all I am VERY greatful I have 4-wheel drive! You are brave to go shovel! Keep warm!

Chris said...

No complaining!!! They've cancelled school for today and it's not even sticking to the roads yet....

I do wonder though, what your Suburban thought as you pulled away in the van? Probably a little hurt and offended since it does have 4-wheel drive!

Jen & Johnny said...

So... I love the snow when I can look at it out my window & not have to be in it!!! I don't like it at all when I have to shovel it!! YUCK!!! I hope that winter is almost over!! I am ready for the spring!!! BTW.... I forgot to answer your ? on my blog~where the indoor swimming pool was~ it's just our rec center!! We love it!! It makes you forget that there is snow outside!!!