Today is the day I've been waiting for since I found out I was pregnant back in October....delivery day! I originally had a noon delivery time, but the day before my delivery they called and asked if I could do 11am instead (and told me my blood test came back as o positive blood type...which is weird because I'm o negative...that inspired lots of confidence in the hospital right before major surgery!) Christopher has been crazy busy at work and has been going non stop since coming home from Hawaii - so I actually drove to the hospital while he finished up a conference call. That was a first for me! Before heading out, we took some last pictures with this big belly of mine - and as a family of 7! We should've planned to do this the day before since Nick was still sleeping, but we did the best we could!




We finally made it to the hospital and got all checked in. It was bittersweet knowing this was the last time I would be here having a baby. It's always such a magical experience meeting this new little person you've been dreaming about for 10 months - and this was the last time we were going to experience it.
They wouldn't let Dad come into the operating room while I had my spinal put in (another first), so we took a few pictures as I headed out and he waited to be called back. They got me all prepped for the surgery, then called Dad into the room.
This first peek of our little guy. Look at all that dark hair!
This might be my favorite picture. Xander Bankz entering the world at 11:41am on Tuesday, July 13, 2021.
My first sight! I love that the doctor spiked up his hair before lowering the curtain.
Once I was a able to see the baby they handed him off to the nurses and Dad went over to be with him while they finished with me. This hospital staff wasn't great at taking pictures for us so there is no pictures of Dad cutting the cord or a nice picture of the three of us in the OR. Shoot! Poor little Xander didn't love being poked and prodded by the nurses. He was over it by the time they wrapped him up and handed him off to Dad. I thought he would be around 7 to 7 1/2 pounds and I was right! He weighed in at 7 lbs and 5 oz, 19 3/4 inches long.
I finally got to hold this sweet boy when I got back into my room. He just snuggled right up and didn't stop telling all about his hard morning. This little guy squeaks, talks, moans, groans, squawks, whines, and is just constantly making sounds. The NICU nurses came in to check his breathing since they thought he was struggling because of the grunts he was making. Nope, he was fine. Just telling us all about life.
After we got into our room they checked the baby's blood sugar. They were shocked it was so low, 35. Ideally it would be around 45 an hour after birth. Since it was so low they had to give him a sugar stick. It looked like a honey stick, but with sugar inside. He loved it.

Xander was so alert and ready to take in the world! He has the biggest eyes and loves looking at everything. He loves noise and being right in the middle of it all. Just like when I was pregnant with him!
While we were still in the recovery room Xander pooped! The nurses were so impressed since most babies wait 24 hours or so. This kid is a go getter! haha!
I love these pictures of Christopher and Xander. What an amazing photographer we hired......(me...from my bed...an hour after surgery. See - an amazing photographer!)
Christopher trying to capture Xander's look for our kids at home. Because of Covid all the kids couldn't visit so we did lots of facetimes and picture shares.
Two hours after being born a room opened up in the postpartum ward so we were moved to room 2207!
No comments:
Post a Comment