Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Xander Bankz Erickson - the Name

 




I love names rich with meaning and history - or family ties.  We really struggled when it came to finding the perfect name for this little boy.  Some top contenders were Jake, Ryan, Ian Own, and Crew.  We just couldn't settle on one name and decided we were wait till he was born.  

The night before I had Xander, Christopher and I were talking about middle names.  We came up with the idea of making a name using our 5 other kids first letters of their names.  Christopher came up with Bankz and I loved it!  Bankz it was!  Middle name was decided, now we just needed that elusive first name - and Jake (my top pick) was now out since Jake Bankz didn't sound great together.

We still hadn't decided by the time I was walked back to the OR.  The nurse had taken our top names and wrote them on the board in our room.  We put Xander on the list - which hadn't really been a name we had thought anything about.  As I was laying there on the table I was really hoping I would know what his name was to be when I saw him.  As soon as they lowered the curtain Xander popped into my mind.  That was it.  His name was going to be Xander Bankz.  Talking to Christopher later on, he said he had the same impression when he saw him.  

With both of us having this experience I still had a hard time making it official.  I knew it wouldn't be a popular name, especially with my family (and I was right, my mom said "Wow, I've never heard of that name" and my dad said "why would they name him a hollywood name?  Christopher must have picked it out")  Not the reaction I was hoping for, especially since it meant so much to me, but it is what it is.  

Xander means "defender of Men" and Bankz is all of his people, Ben, Andrew, Nick, Kallie, and Zack.  I thought it held so much meaning and perfectly capped off our little family of six kids with one name.  I love it.


No comments: