Friday, June 14, 2024

Graz!

After landing in Vienna, we quickly changed our clothes in an airport bathroom, got our rental car, and embarked on our 6 hour drive to Baska.  To break up the travel, we decided to hit some fun sites along the way. Our first stop was the city of Graz. We parked on a tiny little side street, found a bathroom, then an ATM, then started walking the city. I love the cities in Europe. The narrow side streets, wide main roads (car free) and the excellent people watching.


The Schlossberg is a tree-clad hill and the site of a fortress in the center of the city of Graz, Austria. I made Christopher pay the few dollars to take the elevator up to the top and then we walked back down. They had an option to purchase a "slide" ticket. We didn't know what that was, so we didn't buy one. As we were going up the elevator, we figured it out....


I think it would've been so fun to do, but I'm sure it would have gotten super sick - and then there was the issue of paying to go up once, riding down, then having to pay to go up again...because I really wanted to walk down the stairs on the mountain We were too tired to try to make any real decisions! 



The views from the top of the fortress were absolutely incredible! There wasn't a bad view no matter which way you looked. The amount of pictures and videos I took was excessive - even for me!

This old clock tower was fun too. The top of the hill is just tons of beautiful flowers, views, gardens, and walkways. It's Europe, so of course there was a coffee shop too. They were generous though, and didn't charge us for the potty.


There was a massive fortress on top of the hill with 20 foot thick walls. We walked to the top to see if we could get in, but only found this amazing door to take a picture in front of. I thought it was worth the hike!


We grabbed some yummy sandwiches and snacks - found our car again, and hit the road!




No comments: