Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ben's School Performance

Ben's school put on a musical performance last week that only Al Gore could be proud of.  Ben was so excited to be apart of it.  This is mostly because he was promised "a special treat" if he went to all 3 performances. That's right, they repeated this thing 3 times, mostly in an effort to REALLY tick of the fire marshall. I suppose I should start from the beginning. 

Ben's class practiced and practiced songs for this performance forever. Luckily, rote learning and comprehension seem to be completely separated in the brains of kindergartners because the school program was way overboard on the message. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being a good steward of the planet. And although my views on what that means differs from others, I do not believe that indoctrinating children to think that unless THEY (the children) do something RIGHT NOW life is doomed and global warming will rob them of all hope.  Granted I could only make it through the first 15 minutes of the program (when Ben's part ended) but that seemed to be the overall message. Apparently delivering this message was more important than obeying fire code, because by the time the third performance was in full swing the fire marshall actually stopped it to partially clear out the room. I guess he didn't like that his previous 3 warnings had gone unheralded. Good thing all those school kids made it out of the auditorium okay. Now they can go save the planet.

I look back and wonder what my parents thought of all my school performances growing up and how they survived doing that for 8 kids. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE seeing my kids perform. But can we send all the other kids home? Maybe that's the benefit of home schooling...

Anyway, Ben was SOOOOOOOO excited. He couldn't wait to go and sing in front of everyone.  Grandma, Papa, and Auntie Megan came with us to see him sing.  


I never thought my younger sister would have whiter hair than my parents...


There was a question as to whether or not the planet was still going to exist by the end of the program.


We followed all the instructions, and "made a difference" by vacating some seats for the fire marshall after Ben's portion of the program.


True to the message, things were really heating up in the auditorium, but we found temperatures to be much cooler in the hallway.



The kindergartners did their part to stay the end of the world by at least a year thanks to all the rainbows they posted. 

3 comments:

Briahna said...

Amen, I hate indoctrination! Never watch the movie Happy Feet. It made me so mad!!!

Brittany said...

I remember being taught to save the planet in 3rd grade and I really thought that we would all be wearing burlap cloths by the time I was 20, to protect from the huge hole in the ozone layer! Well that didn't happen, anyway I think indoctrination about the planet has been happening forever!
But really Ben looks so cute and how exciting to be part of the school performance!

Brittany said...

P.S. I just read your post about Kallie ice skating and I have to say I can't believe they didn't give her anything to hold onto. I know another little girl who just started and they give all the kids walkers to start out with, I think Kallie was cheated!!!!