Sunday, February 13, 2011

Conversations with Children 2

ANDREW

Andrew still doesn’t get really analytical about his days yet when I talk to him at night. Normally, our conversation consists of series of yes/no questions on my part with Andrew almost universally answering yes regardless of whether he means it. Sometimes he catches himself and gives me the right answer though. He’s finally gotten pretty good at falling asleep in his own bed too. The other night I was talking to him in bed and he goes, “What are you chewing?” “Nothing,” I lied. “Say, AHHHHHH” I quickly hid the gum under tongue and opened my mouth. “Oh, gum!” He quickly exclaimed. I don’t know how, but he had me pegged. Tonight he requested the Davy Crocket theme for his goodnight song. Awesome.

KALLIE

We’re still working on the fact that “favorite” and “least favorite” are completely opposite concepts. She can now count to 100 by tens and wears enough makeup that it’s still on her face by bedtime at night. While I was talking to her tonight Nini called our house and the caller I.D. announced “Joan E. Ericksen”. So we were talking about names and how names can change when you get married and such. Kallie goes “I know who I’m going to marry!” “Who are you going to marry?” I asked. “G-,” she replied. “We’re BEST friends. In fact, it’s SCARY how good friends we are!” I don’t know how this happened but she is head over heals for this kid and she is sure that they are going to get married. Her least favorite part of the day, in fact, was not being in primary for the full 2 hours with G-. This was amended with the fact that she didn’t get to see her Alpine cousins either. What a kid.

BEN

Man, this kid has been a pill today. He threw a fit because we put the kids to bed a little early tonight given the long week we’d just had. He was trying to accuse and taunt me the whole time I was talking with Kallie and Andrew. Finally, when I came to talk to him he thought it would be his turn to unleash on me. But when I started asking about his favorite part of the day and what he learned at church, etc. he shut right up. He was not appreciative of the fact that I refused to engage him. I did get one word out him though. I told him that I loved him and wished him a good night and as I walked out of his room I heard: “DAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!” he he. 

No comments: