Sunday, February 6, 2011

My poor car

While we were at the cabin for Christmas/New Years the valley got some pretty nice snow…and freezing temps that didn’t let that snow melt.  We hadn’t been able to clean off the driveway because it was pure ice.  A literal skating rink.

One night Chris had to go back to the lab to check on some things and he took the van like he normally does.  I was up in bed reading when he walked in.  He looked so serious and sad and said “I just ruined your car”.  I thought he was just being his normal self and kidding with me since we had just talked about how slick the driveway was.  I didn’t find it very funny and just asked him how work was.  He said, “No, I’m serious.  I just got in an accident in the van”.  I was really worried since he had been driving and Andrew had been with him.  After finding out everyone was ok and the accident occurred going under 3 mph, in our driveway I was pretty sure it was just a little dent and he was being dramatic (which is normally my role).  I told him it was fine and we could just get it fixed. 

Want to know how much damage can occur going 3 mph?  Here you go!

P1110392

P1110393

Yep, the drivers door couldn’t even open all the way.  I was so sad!  This van is my baby!  After seeing the van I was really worried about what the suburban looked like.  I ran outside and this is what I saw…

IMG_7148

See the obvious spot where it got hit?  I didn’t either.  I had to go inside and ask Chris.  He said he hit the passager side where the back tire and backdoor meet.  See it now?  I couldn’t either…here is a close up…

IMG_7149

Yep, that’s it.  That little scrape.  Can you call that even a dent?  This suburban is a tank!  When I took the van in for an estimate the guy at the shop told me Chris had hit the “sweet spot” in the van.  Which means that part of the car is not reinforced for an accident.  And of course that is where we hit it!  When I was finally able to clear the ice off the driveway I found paint chips, broken pieces of my lights, random things I had no idea were even on my car.  I have to admit I felt so sad picking them up and tossing them out.

So for a little while I got to drive “the new car” as Andrew calls it. 

IMG_7152

Oh, another funny little story to go along with our car mishap.  When I took it in to get an estimate Andrew kept telling the poor guy that our car was broken and that Daddy did it.  “Dad broke our car”, “our car broken….Daddy did it”.  You could tell this poor guy had no idea what to say to this little man who was tattling on his own father!

While Andrew and I went to drop off the van and get a rental, Kallie and Chris stayed home because Kal was sick and not in school.  Apparently the phone rang while Chris was getting dressed so Kallie decided she should answer it.  It was a person from her school looking for me or Chris.  Kallie told this woman (who she doesn’t know) that Chris was in the bathroom and that I was buying a new car because her dad ruined our old one.  Kallie never told her dad anyone called.  The lady called the next day and related this story to me.  She said I would be shocked at the things she learns from little kids about there families.  I guess so!

The van has been fixed and it looks amazing.  It’s amazing how fast car parts add up!  I just grateful for insurance so we didn’t have to pay for all of our $3,000.00 plus repair!

No comments: